2016年1月3日星期日

Thor Jensen's story

Thorbjorn Jensen and Mother Jensen

In my first interview with 42-year-old Danish patient Mr. Thorbjorn Jensen, what struck me is how incredibly healthy he looked, as well as the great big smile that greeted me when I walked through the door. Sitting in one of the big comfortable chairs, Thorbjorn agreed to share his story, not only with me, but with all the patients that would come to Fuda after him. With his mother listening on the side, I asked the big question:

Why come to China?

"No other choices. My treatment at home didn't work and there just was nothing more that could be done in my country. They could only do chemo and radiation. I said now now, I have to take care of a little one, so I needed to keep looking for answers...I couldn't stop there."

How did you hear about Fuda?

"Well after I learned that I didn't have any more options at home, I got on the internet to research. When I was looking, Fuda Cancer Hospital was one of the first ones that came up. I did my research and I talked to former patients from Fuda. Speaking with former patients and hearing their stories helped me become more confident with the idea of going so far for treatment."

Were you nervous to come to China, because the culture, the language, and the food is so different?

"Oh, of course I was nervous! I wasn't sure if the doctors would be able to explain everything down to the little details. I had no idea of what would be waiting for me when I arrived, so that made me very nervous. Before coming here, I didn't even know that much about China. But, after I came here and I saw the hospital and talked to the doctors and nurses, I wasn't afraid anymore. Compared to the hospitals in Denmark, the feeling is very different. The room is more like a hotel room then a hospital room, and the doctors and nurses speak quite good English."

Thorbjorn emphasized his relationship with the doctors and nurses:

"The doctors and nurses here are smiling, so friendly and warm. You can chat and joke with them. In Denmark, the professional distance is quite large. Here, they are still professional, but the distance is less, so it helps to make me feel more comfortable. Even though I hate staying in hospitals, I can feel more at home here because of the relationship with the doctors and nurses."

As this was his second visit to Fuda, I asked how he was doing:

"I feel better. I definitely feel like I have more energy than before. Right now, the most active part of my cancer is dead and gone. I just hope that it stays dead."

没有评论:

发表评论